In 1938, the Spokane, Portland and Seattle (SP&S) Railway took delivery of three
Baldwin 4-8-4 locomotives, numbered 700, 701 and 702.
These locomotives, designated as class E-1 Northerns, were identical in design to
the Northern Pacific A-3 except that they burned oil instead of coal.
The SP&S Northerns operated at a tractive effort of 69,800 lbs and weighed 485,500
lbs. Locomotive SP&S 700 is owned by the City of Portland, Oregon, and is maintained
and operated by the Pacific Railroad Preservation Association.